Monday, August 10, 2009

Who’s Going to Step Up?

“I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.” In today’s society, did we forget about this song that was once popular. Or, has parenting changed from our parents and grandparents. I can remember as a child that I would get spanking and reprimanded for just about everything I did wrong. I seldom recall, but on few occasions getting praised for something by my parents. Have we lost the sense to discipline our children?

I have two sons, 15 and 5 years old. I can remember on several occasions a waitress or waiter would tell me, I wish more parents were like you to discipline their children when they do wrong. No, I am not a tyrant or Mommy dearest, but I do know that “teach a child in the way that he must go and when he is old enough, he will not depart from it.” I want each of my sons to have the best in life, and that comes from having great character, discipline, respectful and most of all to love themselves.

I have seen parents let kids run wild in restaurants. I’ve seen parents allow their children to talk back to them. I’ve know parents who do not want to take their children out because they are embarrassed of how their children behave. Now, I think, whose fault is that, and my response is always, the parents’ fault.

Are we living in a society when more single parents are raising their children and they tire of disciplining them? Are we letting our children being raised by video games, text messaging or by music that have derogatory meaning and disrespectful in nature? Are so many absent fathers affecting children that they have no respect for their fathers or for others?

The answers are many, however, we must as parents take control of our children’ lives and bring discipline back as a way of teaching our children right from wrong. If we allow our children to get away with misdeeds now, they are learning that they can get away with anything and not have any consequences or accountability. As a child in your home, that may seem okay to you, however to society, that child is a menace to society. That same child that did not get disciplined at home will more than likely fall in the juvenile system or even be tried as an adult.

Therefore, our children are our future. It is our responsibility as parents to teach them well so they can lead the way. Take a look at your parenting style and honestly answer the question, have you taught your child in a way that when he/she is older, they will not depart from your teaching?

No comments:

Post a Comment